According to the Leitchfield Fire Department, there was a lot of smoke and water damage throughout the house located at 2533 Lilac Road, with the heaviest damage occurring in the back part of the home and upstairs.
The fire department reported that the fire most likely started after some clothing was left too close to an electric wall heater in a bedroom.
The house, which is owned by Jerry and Carolyn Childress, was recently remodeled and painted, Carolyn said, and was being rented by Jonathon and Sherry Clark.
According to Carolyn, the Clarks, who were in the process of moving into the home and already had most of their belongings in the house, were not there at the time of the fire.
“And they just had the electricity turned on that morning,” Carolyn said.
At this point, Carolyn said she “wasn't sure if the wall heater was turned on or it just shorted out.”
The fire was reported just after 11 a.m. and there were no injuries as a result of the blaze.