"I've had fires on rental properties but not at my own home. This is a new experience for me," said Hudson.
Hudson said he had been relaxing in front of the television after a regular Monday night firefighter training. He said he had heard a pop resembling a vehicle backfiring, but didn't think much about it until his house started to shake.
Hudson said he looked out the front window but could only see a haze of smoke. He contacted the police department to report the occurrance. When Hudson went outside, he saw the door blown away from the garage, and saw smoke coming from the area. After calling for the fire department, Hudson retrieved his garden hose to combat the fire.
When the fire department arrived, firefighters started clearing the smoke and checked the residence for fire.
Hudson said the department was on the scene until about 1 a.m. The fire damaged the garage area and Hudson's vehicle.
Although Chief Hudson will not be investigating the fire himself, he said cleaning supplies and gasoline additives such as chain saw oil and lighter fluid were lost. "It looked like one aerosol can just shot straight up making a perfect round hole in the ceiling."
No injuries were reported.