“While the holiday season is always a hectic time at the North Pole, just like it is for you and your family, we still try to spend time together even after a long day in Santa’s workshop” says Mrs. Claus. “We read Santa’s letters, play reindeer games and bake tasty holiday goodies together.”
For a holiday season filled with joy and laughter, Mrs. Claus shared her top five ways to make lasting memories with your little ones.
* Letters to Santa: Santa loves receiving letters from children. Encouraging your kids to write to Santa provides a great opportunity to teach them how to spell, compose written text and allows them to practice handwriting. For younger kids who haven’t started reading or writing, encourage them to draw pictures, instead.
* Leave something special: Making a snack for Santa with your little helpers offers an extra opportunity to spend time together creating memories that will last a lifetime. Think beyond the cookie tray and personalize your treats just for him. One of Santa’s favorites is Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Tree Trimmer Treats.
* Holiday cheer: Make decorating the house a fun event for the whole family. Engage your kids in holiday crafts to display on the mantle and make sure everyone has ornaments to hang on the tree.
* Story nights: Santa and I often gather all of the elves together to reminisce about family memories, or watch our favorite holiday movies. Stir up some hot cocoa and treats, share special moments from holidays past, or let your little ones pick their favorite holiday movie.
* Rudolph roadmap: Make sure Santa and his reindeer can find your house. Sprinkle a mixture of oats and glitter on your front yard to help guide them right to your home – even if it gets a little foggy.
Rice Krispies Tree Trimmer Treats Recipe
Yields 12 servings
12 (6-inch lengths) red or black string licorice
12 miniature marshmallows
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (10 ounces, about 40) regular marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal
M&M's brand chocolate candies
Fold each licorice piece in half and push ends through centers of 12 miniature marshmallows. Set aside. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add 10 ounces marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat. Add cereal. Stir until well coated. Using 1/2-cup measuring cup coated with cooking spray, divide warm cereal mixture into 12 portions. Using buttered hands shape each portion into ornament shape around licorice ends. Cool. Decorate with frosting and candies. Best if served the same day.
You can find nutrition information and decorating ideas on www.RiceKrispies.com or gain additional inspiration on Rice Krispies’ Pinterest page at www.Pinterest.com/RiceKrispiesUSA.