Last updated: December 17. 2013 9:52AM - 1242 Views
By - mlasley@civitasmedia.com

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

A flaming mattress set the contents of a dumpster on fire on Saturday, December 14.

At about 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, the Leitchfield Fire Department responded to reports of a dumpster fire on South Claggett Drive in Leitchfield.

After extinguishing the flame, firefighters determined the blaze had originated in one of the nearby South Claggett Drive Apartments when resident Murial Fisher’s mattress caught fire, according to First Assistant Leitchfield Fire Chief Tim Duvall.

The apartment received minor damage as a result of the mattress’s catching fire, according to Duvall.

Afterward, Fisher, believing he had extinguished the flame, moved the mattress from inside the apartment to a dumpster where it then started a second blaze, Duvall said.

Fisher reportedly told firefighters that someone else had set fire to the mattress, and the investigation was turned over to the Leitchfield Police Department, Duvall said.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Leitchfield Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com