Last updated: August 26. 2014 12:26PM - 2359 Views
By - bwise@civitasmedia.com

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Two armed gunmen were arrested in Caneyville on Monday, August 25 following two unrelated incidents in which the lives of local residents and police officers were threatened.

At approximately 9 a.m. first responders received a call from a subject in Caneyville who told them he would be at the four-way stop in 15 minutes with a pistol and would kill anyone he came into contact with, according to Sheriff Rick Clemons, who responded.

Clemons said that the man then told E-911 dispatch to send as many police officers that they had and that he would kill them, too.

At the time of the call, Clemons and Jailer Jason Woosley were in Caneyville conducting a search for an escaped inmate. “We turned around and encountered the shooter at the four-way stop. He was waving a handgun,” Clemons said.

He said that the pair backed up their vehicle to a safer distance and got out to take cover. Clemons and Woosley called for backup and began issuing verbal commands to the gunman to drop his weapon.

Caneyville Police Department (CPD) Chief Anthony Clark and Grayson County Sheriff’s Office (GCSO) Special Deputy Mark Stanton arrived on scene quickly, and Kentucky State Police (KSP) Troopers Brad Riley and Scott Rafferty were soon on scene as well, Clemons said.

“After about a 15- to 20- minute standoff, we convinced him to lay the gun down,” Clemons said. At that point, GCSO and CPD took the assailant, 32-year-old Robert Allen Carter, into custody.

Carter, a repeat offender with an extensive and violent criminal history, was charged with terroristic threatening for the second time in just eight months, and was additionally charged with disorderly conduct in the first degree. He is currently being lodged in the Grayson County Detention Center.

Clemons said that he believes the cause for the armed rampage was a serious domestic dispute that Carter was involved in Sunday night. The Sunday night incident resulted in a domestic violence order (DVO) being placed on Carter.

Just hours later, officers were placed back on high alert when a second shooter, 39-year-old Bradley Stephen Farris, fired shots at his father, Abrin Farris, following a dispute at the elder Farris’ Coats Farris Road home.

The verbal dispute resulted in Bradley Farris taking a handgun and four-wheeler from his father and fleeing the scene after firing shots.

GCSO and KSP officers quickly responded to the scene.

Shortly thereafter, a witness reported seeing the gunman on the four-wheeler on Dog Creek Road. Responding officers went to the location of the sighting, but Sheriff Clemons said that he stayed at Abrin Farris’ residence in case the son should decide to return.

“They really believed he was going to kill them,” Clemons said of the Farris family.

Bradley Farris did return to the residence, stopping and taking out the gun upon seeing Clemons.

Clemons was able to take Farris into custody with no further shots being exchanged.

KSP Trooper Scott Rafferty was listed as the arresting officer, and Farris was charged with wanton endangerment in the first degree; alcohol intoxication in a public place, first and second offense; possession of a handgun by a convicted felon; and possession of marijuana.

Farris had only recently been released from prison, and a background check reveals that he is a repeat offender with a history of violent crimes.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Leitchfield Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com