UPDATED: Man perishes in Pine Knob fire

By Matt Lasley - mlasley@civitasmedia.com

Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette

Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette

Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette

A Caneyville man lost his life in a fire that ravaged an area in the Pine Knob community on Tuesday afternoon, March 22.

At approximately 1:23 p.m. on Tuesday, the Caneyville Volunteer Fire Department (CVFD) was called to 216 Pine Dr. in Pine Knob in reference to a reported woods fire.

Upon arriving on the scene, firefighters discovered a wooded area, as well as a 2006 Fleetwood camper—owned by James Howard, of Philpot, who was uninjured—“fully involved” in flames, and a storage building and scraps from a recently torn down mobile home on fire, according to CVFD Chief Anthony Clark.

The male victim, James R. Woodcock, 60, of Caneyville, was found by fire department personnel lying on the ground outside the camper, Clark said.

Woodcock had been tearing down an old mobile home at 408 Pine Dr. in Pine Knob, and he had made a burn pile with some torn out limber that he had set on fire, Grayson County Coroner Joe Brad Hudson said.

Due to high winds, the flames rapidly caught the area around the burn pile, as well as the woods, a storage building, and the Fleetwood on fire, according to Hudson.

Woodcock was attempting to extinguish the blaze when his clothes caught on fire, Hudson said.

Woodcock then tried to run from the fire, but it spread too quickly, and he lay or fell down about 20 feet away from the Fleetwood, according to Hudson.

Woodcock was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:30 p.m. by Hudson, and he was transported to the Medical Examiner’s Office in Louisville for an autopsy.

The case is currently still under investigation by the Grayson County Coroner’s Office with more details to follow.

No other injuries were reported.

The mobile home being torn down was owned by Les Helton, of Louisville, Clark said.

The blaze took firefighters about 90 minutes to extinguish, but fire department personnel remained on the scene for a number of hours afterward to prevent the flames from reigniting.

A report on the incident was delivered to the Kentucky Division of Forestry and the State Fire Marshal, per standard procedure in the event of a fire that results in a fatality or injury.

The CVFD was assisted on the scene by the Falls of Rough Volunteer Fire Department, Grayson County Emergency Medical Services, the Grayson County Coroner’s Office, the American Red Cross, and the Kentucky Division of Forestry.

Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette
http://gcnewsgazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/web1_Pine-Knob-Fire-1-1.jpgMatt Lasley | GC News-Gazette

Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette
http://gcnewsgazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/web1_Pine-Knob-Fire-2-1.jpgMatt Lasley | GC News-Gazette

Matt Lasley | GC News-Gazette
http://gcnewsgazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/web1_Pine-Knob-Fire-3-1.jpgMatt Lasley | GC News-Gazette

By Matt Lasley


Reach Matt Lasley at 270-259-9622, ext. 2015.

Reach Matt Lasley at 270-259-9622, ext. 2015.

comments powered by Disqus