Yeaman Road fire proves fatal

By Matt Lasley -

An elderly man lost his life in a house fire on Yeaman Road on Sunday morning, Feb. 14.

The Caneyville Volunteer Fire Department (CVFD) responded to 2371 Yeaman Rd.—located outside of Caneyville between Spring Lick and Yeaman—at approximately 7:46 a.m. on Sunday.

Upon arrival, firefighters discovered the residence was “fully involved” in flames, according to CVFD Chief Anthony Clark.

Inside, firefighters found 77-year-old Charles Sermon, who was disabled and the only occupant of the house, in the living room area of the residence, Clark said.

The Grayson County Coroner’s Office pronounced Sermon dead at the scene, and the preliminary cause of his death was ruled “smoke inhalation,” Deputy Grayson County Coroner Larry Holeman said.

Sermon’s body was sent to Louisville for an autopsy, the results of which are expected to be returned in about six weeks, according to Holeman.

The fire, which destroyed the house, is believed to have originated in the flue of a wood stove, according to Clark.

Sermon’s nephew, who lives two houses behind 2371 Yeaman Rd., told firefighters he had heard a pop from his home, went outside, and discovered Sermon’s residence in flames, Clark said.

Sermon’s nephew then attempted to ascend the porch of Sermon’s residence to make entry but was unable to do so because of the heat, according to Clark.

Officials suspect no foul play to be involved in the fire, but the CVFD, per standard procedure in the case of a fire that results in a death or serious injury, reported the blaze to the State Fire Marshal’s Office, Clark said.

No other injuries or damages to the surrounding area were reported.

Firefighters cleared the scene at 11:25 a.m. on Sunday.

The CVFD was assisted at the scene by the Falls of Rough Volunteer Fire Department.

By Matt Lasley

Reach Matt Lasley at 270-259-9622, ext. 2015.

Reach Matt Lasley at 270-259-9622, ext. 2015.

comments powered by Disqus