1. As it gets warmer, gradually move more to get rid of the extra weight you gained during the winter. Walk your dog. He/she will thank you and be glad to lose the winter weight.
2. Check with your physician before any strenuous exercise.
3. Avoid extra sugar and processed foods.
4. Grow and eat more fruits and vegetables.
5. Vary ingredients in salads and make your own dressings with olive oil, vinegar, and the spices you enjoy. Add blueberries or raspberries to give it a slight fruity flavor.
6. Grow stevia to sweeten your foods without artificial sweeteners.
7. Wear sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats.
8. Make sure you have good footwear for the activity you are doing.
9. To prevent spider bites, shake all your spring and summer clothes before wearing them. Spiders like to hide in packed clothing. They love warm dark spaces.
10. Take a B complex tablet daily to prevent mosquito bites and the illnesses that can be transmitted by mosquitoes.
11. Check for ticks daily and don’t forget to check your pets, as well.
12. Have a storm safety plan in the event of storms or high winds.
Gay Fulkerson, MD, is a board-certified family physician and wound care/hyperbaric specialist.