Leitchfield home catches fire

By Matt Lasley mlasley@civitasmedia.com

February 21, 2014

A Leitchfield residence caught fire on Thursday, Feb. 20.

At around 4 p.m. on Thursday, the Leitchfield Fire and Police Departments and Grayson County Emergency Medical Services responded to a reported structure fire at 12 Woodlawn Avenue.

According to First Assistant Leitchfield Fire Chief Tim Duvall, a lamp chord caught fire and subsequently set a mattress aflame in the second floor of the home, a rental property owned by Dwight Embry.

The identities of the residents of the property, who were at home at the time of the fire, have not yet been released; however, Leitchfield Fire Chief Jerry Schlosser said they were all escorted from the home quickly and without incident.

Schlosser said the blaze took about two minutes to extinguish.

“It wasn’t very big,” Schlosser said.

Duvall said the second floor of the home received some smoke damage as a result of the fire, but the first floor received no damage.