By Brittany Wise firstname.lastname@example.org
February 11, 2014
The deadline is nearing to vote for your favorite non-profit organization in The News-Gazette’s contest which will award one group with $2,500 worth of advertising for the upcoming year.
The first round of voting in the My Own Community Service Project contest will end on Wednesday, Feb. 19, with the top five vote-getting organizations moving on to a second, final round, from which a winner will be chosen by the public.
14 local organizations registered for the first round, and more than 150 votes have been cast so far. As of press time, the top five slots belonged to the following non-profits, with descriptions in their own words:
* Grayson County Humane Society - “A non-profit group that runs the Leitchfield Animal Shelter, works tirelessly to help homeless animals find new homes, keeping them safe and healthy until that moment arrives. In addition, this group assists the community in finding low-cost spay/neuter alternatives hoping to reduce the number of unwanted pets.”
* Tri-County CASA - “A non-profit agency dedicated to preventing and eliminating further trauma to children. Executive Director is Erica Patton Simpson. The CASA concept is based on the commitment that every child has the right to a safe, permanent home, as soon as possible.”
* Better Business Bureau - “An ethical marketplace where buyers and sellers can trust each other.”
* Big Brothers Big Sister of Kentuckiana - “BBBSKY has been serving in the local community for more than forty years. Its mission is to provide children facing adversity with strong, enduring and professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever.”
* The Master Gardener Association of Grayson County - “A group of trained volunteers who are dedicated to educating our community in all aspects of horticulture.”
The remaining organizations competing for the prize include:
The Grayson County Tourism Commission
The Western Kentucky Car Club
The City of Leitchfield Tourism and Convention Commission
Grayson County Band Boosters, Inc.
Grayson County Center for Women’s Ministries
Grayson County Alliance
The Grayson Springs Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution
The Leitchfield Lions Club
The Grayson County Rotary Club