gcnewsgazette.com

Mattress catches fire, burns apartment, dumpster

Matt Lasley Reporter

December 17, 2013

A flaming mattress set the contents of a dumpster on fire on Saturday, December 14.


At about 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, the Leitchfield Fire Department responded to reports of a dumpster fire on South Claggett Drive in Leitchfield.


After extinguishing the flame, firefighters determined the blaze had originated in one of the nearby South Claggett Drive Apartments when resident Murial Fisher’s mattress caught fire, according to First Assistant Leitchfield Fire Chief Tim Duvall.


The apartment received minor damage as a result of the mattress’s catching fire, according to Duvall.


Afterward, Fisher, believing he had extinguished the flame, moved the mattress from inside the apartment to a dumpster where it then started a second blaze, Duvall said.


Fisher reportedly told firefighters that someone else had set fire to the mattress, and the investigation was turned over to the Leitchfield Police Department, Duvall said.