Holy Cross crushes Cougars in opener, 68-38

By Don Brown

December 9, 2013

Opening the season on the road at Louisville’s Holy Cross last Tuesday, the Cougar basketball squad came home with two stinging losses.

In the opening game, the JV Cougars stayed close in the first half, but saw Holy Cross take over in the second half on their way to 47-32 loss.

In the late game, Holy Cross (2-0) never trailed and kept piling on quarter by quarter until the final margin was 30 points, 68-38.


Logan Ramsey hit the first of his three three-pointers at the 4:02 mark of the first period to give Grayson County a four-point lead, 7-3.

Trailing 9-7, Holy Cross got a three-pointer from Caleb Wimberg and a rebound basket from Alec Ferguson to take a 12-9 lead with 31 seconds left in the period.

Ramsey then hit his second three -pointer with 17 seconds left and the two teams went to the second period tied at 12-12.

Trey Goff hit another three with 3:41 left in the second period to put Grayson County up by four once more, 16-12, but Holy Cross closed out the half on a 12-4 run to lead by four, 24-20 at the half.

Wyatt Skaggs opened the scoring in the second half with a three-pointer at the 5:39 mark to pull the Cougars to within a point, 24-23, but they would get no closer.

Holy Cross scored the next 12 straight points, completing a 20-3 run that put them in front to stay, 36-23 with 1:39 left in the third period. They led by 10 points, 36-26 heading into the fourth quarter.

Grayson County was still in the game after Conner Schultz completed an old-fashioned three-point play to make it 36-29 at the start of the fourth quarter, but they would score only three more points the rest of the way to fall by 15, 47-32.

Travis Ray led all scorers with 18 points for Holy Cross, while Ferguson had 10.

Ramsey led the Cougars with 13 points. Skaggs and Schultz had five each, while Goff and Tristan Willis had three apiece. Bailey Logsdon, Dustin Woosley and Beau Dennis had one point each to complete the scoring.


Holy Cross scored the game’s fist six points and were never headed afterward. Talon Gary hit a pair of free throws at the 2:42 mark of the first period to pull the Cougars to within two points of the lead, 7-5, but they would get no closer.

Holy Cross responded with seven straight points to lead 14-5 with 1:27 left. They led 16-7 heading into the second period.

Alex Shellhart scored on a lay-in at the 6:39 mark to make it a six-point game, 18-12, but Holy Cross closed out the half by hitting four three-pointers in a 12-2 run that gave them a 16-point halftime lead, 30-14.

After Holy Cross took a 24-point lead, 48-24, the game turned into mainly a JV affair as both teams substituted freely.

Holy Cross put four players into double figures, led by Aatron Stahl’s 14 points. Norman Ellis had 13, while Brandon Basham and Jack Schmidt had 12 each.

Gary led the Cougars with 14 points and added five rebounds, while Tanner Tyra had 10 points. Shellhart finished with five points and led the team on the boards with six rebounds.

Gage Akridge had four points, Cole Akridge had three and Bret Johnston added two to complete the Cougar scoring.